• Understand what conflict and conflict resolution mean
• Understand all six phases of the conflict resolution process
• Understand the five main styles of conflict resolution
• Be able to adapt the process for all types of conflicts
• Be able to break out parts of the process and use those tools to prevent conflict
• Be able to use basic communication tools, such as the agreement frame and open questions
• Be able to use basic anger and stress management techniques
• Define and practice self-management, self-awareness, self-regulation, self-motivation, and empathy.
• Understand, use and manage your emotions.
• Verbally communicate with others.
• Successfully communicate with others in a non-verbal manner.
• Identify the benefits of emotional intelligence.
• Relate emotional intelligence to the workplace.
• Balance optimism and pessimism.
• Effectively impact others.
Leadership and Influence
• Define “leadership”
• Explain the Great Man Theory
• Explain the Trait Theory
• Understand Transformational Leadership
• Understand the people you lead and how to adapt your leadership styles
• Explain leading by Directing
• Explain leading by Participating
• Explain leading by Delegating
• Kouzes and Posner
• Conduct a personal inventory
• Create an action plan
• Establish personal goals
• Understand the basic types of negotiations, the phases of negotiations, and the skills needed for successful negotiating
• Understand and apply basic negotiating concepts: WATNA, BATNA, WAP, and ZOPA
• Lay the groundwork for negotiation
• Identify what information to share and what to keep to yourself
• Understand basic bargaining techniques
• Apply strategies for identifying mutual gain
• Understand how to reach consensus and set the terms of agreement
• Deal with personal attacks and other difficult issues
• Use the negotiating process to solve everyday problems
• Negotiate on behalf of someone else
Work Life Balance
• Explain the benefits of work life balance.
• Recognize the signs of an unbalanced life.
• Identify employer resources for a balanced lifestyle.
• Improve time management and goal setting.
• Use the most effective work methods for you.
• Create balance at work and at home.
• Manage stress.
• Explain the definition, terms and history of diversity
• Describe the meaning of stereotypes and biases, how they develop, and the reasons for your own perspectives
• List strategies for removing barriers to encouraging diversity for yourself, in the workplace, and in the social community
• Use active listening skills to receive messages in a diverse population, employ effective questioning techniques, and communicate with strength
• Identify ways to encourage diversity in the workplace, and prevent and discourage discrimination
• Understand and respond to personal complaints, and develop a support system to manage the resolution process
• List the steps a manager should take to record a complaint, analyze the situation, and take appropriate resolution action
Assertiveness and Self-Confidence
• Define assertiveness and self-confidence, and list the four styles of communication
• Describe the types of negative thinking, and how one can overcome negative thoughts
• Explain the difference between listening and hearing.
• Define the importance of goal setting, and practice setting SMART goals for assertive behavior
• Utilize methodologies for understanding your worth -- and the use of positive self-talk
• List reasons why a pleasing appearance and body language are critical for creating a strong first impression
• Practice sending positive communications phrased as “I-Messages”
• Practice strategies for gaining positive outcomes in difficult interpersonal situations.
• Define body language.
• Understand the benefits and purpose of interpreting body language.
• Learn to interpret basic body language movements.
• Recognize common mistakes when interpreting body language.
• Understand your own body language and what you are communicating.
• Practice your body language skills.
• Define mindfulness
• Develop techniques to make oneself more attuned to the present moment
• Understand the value and utility of one’s emotions
• Learn how to identify and counter distorted thinking
• Learn how to cultivate genuine positive emotions
• Become more fully present in social interactions
• Define the self and different aspects of the self
• Learn from introspection
• Understand the nature and value of emotions
• Appreciate themselves
• Appreciate others
• Improve effectiveness
Increasing Your Happiness
• Discuss how planning ahead cultivates workplace happiness
• Create a nightly routine and daily plan
• Relate more effectively to others in the workplace
• Understand how the workspace environment impacts happiness
• Think more positively
• Take actions that will create greater workplace happiness
• Understand the difference between hearing and listening
• Know some ways to improve the verbal skills of asking questions and communicating with power.
• Understand what is ‘non-verbal communication’ and how it can enhance interpersonal relationships.
• Identify the skills needed in starting a conversation.
• Identify ways of creating a powerful introduction, remembering names, and managing situations when you’ve forgotten someone’s name.
• Understand how seeing the other side can improve skills in influencing other people.
• Understand how the use of facts and emotions can help bring people to your side.
• Identify ways of sharing one’s opinions constructively.
• Learn tips in preparing for a negotiation, opening a negotiation, bargaining, and closing a negotiation.
• Learn tips in making an impact through powerful first impressions.